Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Really, Tyra? Really?!

So I commence my usual tour of MSN and Yahoo today only to be greeted with the news that Tyra Banks--supermodel, reality star, narcissist--signed a three novel deal with Random House. You can read an article on it here.

I only have two points here. Paradoxically, they are contradictory yet valid at the same time...hmmmm.....

1. Really? Beauty and fame aren't enough for you? You need to infringe on the land of people who have been honing their craft for years, writing and rewriting with such tenacity mingled with self-doubt that it would drive anyone mad? Really? And you are going to call the first novel Modelland? (Interesting side note: the article pronounces the title for us. Thanks, CNN. *snicker) I think I'm going to spew my cookie dough ice cream. I'm sickened.

2. Hm. Modelland? I'm infinitely interested in knowing exactly what is going to happen in this fantasy land that blends "magic and fierceness"! Is Miss J going to be there? Will I be able to listen to snarky (love that word) fashion photogs and model hanger-ons? Will I love this as much as I love Top Model and the blatant display of self-love and I-am-better-than-you-ness? Will I love it?!

Overall, I am so torn that I don't know what to do with myself. But something in my gut tells me it's not going to be good. And my gut is substantial and generally truthful. I'm going to listen to it. ;)

5 comments:

  1. oh, I soo agree with you. who does she think she is? Ten bucks says she's got a ghost writer.

    But...well, I have occasionally watched Top Model though honestly I don't know why. It's one of my guilty pleasures, like What not to Wear.

    Nope. Not buyin' it. I'll buy your book instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are satirists supposed to do when this is "reality"? Our work here is done....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl - thanks for visiting my site and answering my WWW Wednesday meme questions...you should post them on your own blog, too, to spread the word! I'm now a new follower of your blog!

    You should also check out my book giveaway contest...maybe there's a book you'd be interested in!

    Oh, and I agree with you about Tyra...

    Hugs~
    Susan
    http://crazycatladyslibrary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, All, I don't know what to make of this Tyra business...

    Susan, I will definitely check out the book giveaway. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean...and even made a post on my blog about her using her celebrity status to bypass the slush pile, which I strongly feel would be where this ended up if a 'normal' person submitted it.

    Found your site through the great Book Blogger Hop :o)

    ReplyDelete