Monday, April 12, 2010

A Must Read parody




First, I should take a moment to state that perhaps I have been too harsh regarding Twilight. I’ve talked with some other teachers who have read it and I guess there is something appealing about it…the desperate need to know how it ends, the drama of teen romance…

Nevermind. I don’t get it. I’m not too harsh.

But what I do get is humor. (Some of it anyway.) And I found the perfect book: Nightlight. A parody of Twilight written by The Harvard Lampoon, this novel crafts the story in a ridiculous over the top way that, much to my delight, often made it seem like the original novel. The main character, Belle Goose, moves in with her father and begins a new love. She meets Edwart whom she is convinced holds supernatural powers.

And so on. You know the story.

But the writing is hysterical. The same features of bad writing that litter the landscape of Twilight are employed with such comedic effect that I not only laughed, I cried. (I know that’s such a cliché, and that in itself is bad writing, but it was so true!) I give the writers credit because they were able to walk that fine line between bad writing which doesn't work at all and bad writing that is hysterically funny and aware of itself and what it is trying to accomplish. (This may be the focus of some negative reviews. But I loved it.)

This is a must read. And, I promise, I will be off the vampire kick soon. I'll be working on a new one soon.

Review forthcoming.

*sparkles

Today’s word: saturnine: adj. sluggish in temperament; gloomy; taciturn.

Cheer up! Don’t be so saturnine, because you’ll graduate in the next couple of months and be out of Chambers’s class forever!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment